It's October and that means it's pumpkin ale time in the beer world. Check your local store to discover which of these delightful brews are available in your neck of the woods.
Wolaver's Certified Organic Will Stevens' Pumpkin AleThis adventure began back in 1997 when Wolaver's embarked on the mission to brew their beer in a sustainable way. It was one of the first certified organic breweries in the nation and simply put, its mission is to brew great beer and to support organic agriculture. Will Stevens' Pumpkin Ale is brewed with organic pumpkins grown by Will Stevens and his wife Judy at their farm in Shoreham, Vermont - less than 10 miles from the brewery. With every sip of this amber ale characterized by a hint of pumpkin and baking spices, you will be supporting Wolaver's local agricultural ecosystem - beer that will warm your body and soul!
- Produced at a brewery working to minimize environmental impact, supporting organic agriculture.
- Well balanced amber ale with a hint of pumpkin and spices.
- Pairs well with cheesecake or other desserts.
Smuttynose Pumpkin AleThe adventure began in the historic seaport city of Portsmouth, New Hampshire in 1994. Smuttynose Pumpkin Ale is a tribute to the craft and heritage of America's brewers. It is brewed with the addition of real pumpkin to the mash, along with traditional spices. With aromas of cinnamon and hops and a full-bodied, roasted malt flavor and hints of pumpkin, this is a true American original that pairs exceptionally well with many autumn dishes such as squash casseroles, hearty stews, as well as your Thanksgiving feast.
- The nose is full of spice, mostly cinnamon, with hints of the Liberty hops lending itself to a full flavor with a nice bitterness yet balanced with the roasted malts.
- The taste lingers into a nice dry spicy, hoppy finish that stays with you without being overbearing.
- A unique blend of spicing and hop goodness backed with just enough malt sweetness to bring it all into balance.
Buffalo Bill's Brewery Pumpkin AleThe adventure started in 1983 in Hayward, California, when Bill Owens started one of the first brewpubs in America. Owens began adding unique ingredients to his beers after learning that George Washington was a home brewer who used pumpkin. Today, the Seasonal Pumpkin Ale carries on that tradition - brewed with real pumpkin, cinnamon, clove, and nutmeg and has been referred to as "Pumpkin Pie in a Bottle."
- America's Original Pumpkin Ale handcrafted for 25 years.
- At the brewery they serve "Pumpkin Roca." Rim a wine glass with lime dip in finally chopped spiced roasted pumpkin seeds, fill with Pumpkin Ale, and enjoy!!
- Golden amber to orange in color with a rich head. It has aromas of pumpkin pie with distant pumpkin spice flavor and malt character.
- Pumpkin Ale is wonderful with all fall foods like roasted turkey, sweet potatoes, cranberries and nuts. It is perfectly paired with the traditional Thanksgiving meal.
Dogfish Head Punkin AleThe adventure began in 1995 in Rehoboth Beach, Delaware. Dogfish Head Brewery was borne out of the idea that beer can be food-friendly and worthy of ageing like wine, and it continues to maintain its commitment to quality and to developing "off-centered ales for off-centered people.'" The seasonal Punkin Ale is a lush, smooth, and full-bodied brown ale brewed with pumpkin, organic brown sugar, and all-natural spices including allspice, cinnamon, and nutmeg. It was originally named after a local "off-centered" event - the annual World Championship Punkin' Chunkin' that takes place the weekend after Halloween in which teams compete to build machines that hurl pumpkins through the air.
- Full-bodied brown ale with smooth hints of pumpkin and brown sugar. Pairs well turkey, roasted duck, lamb, stuffing, and dessert dumplings.
- It's also a great cooking beer - Perfect for beer bread and for soups/stews!